Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What's Cookin?

Last night just HAS to be a classic textbook evening up here on the compound.

I get home a wee bit late for my liking. Tuesdays I cover a short shift at the studio then the twins and I head home. After feeding the animals I headed up to the house and had to force myself to get excited about making dinner for the twins and I. I popped some new potatoes in the oven to start baking and went to work on making what turned out to be a fabulous vegetable soup.

I was cutting up vegetables, listening to my "Explosions in the Sky" music, selecting spices that called my name and really present with my "project". The kitchen was smelling pretty fabulous, I might say. As I was humming along, doing my thing, in walks Jeff and Robbie. Robbie looks at what I'm doing and says, "What's cookin, Ma?" I recited my menu and he did the usual curl of the lip to show his disgust with my choices.

Obviously, Jeff and Rob had a powerful hunger on. I wasn't about to question it. They then went to work as well. Pretty soon the kitchen was bustling with activity. They were making eggs, English muffins, bacon and sausage. The aromas were pretty gross, if you ask me. However, I did see Jacob perk up (like, "hmmm, how do I score some of THAT food instead of what Mom's cooking?") Sorry, buddy you're with me. Sucks to be you!!!

So, it just happened that we all finished our prep work at the same time and actually set down for a semi-normal family dinner. Danielle was working late so she couldn't come join the festivities. During the middle of dinner I asked, "Guys, why is the oven still on?" They looked at each other and then Jeff said, "Oh, that's more bacon." OMG! That's disgusting!!!

What's even more disgusting is that their eyes were bigger than their stomachs. They didn't finish eating all the gross food and started allowing the dogs to enjoy the fruits of their labor. I just finished my dinner and walked back to my area shaking my head. What kind of people have I raised? At least the vegetable soup and potatoes were amazing. Go me!

No comments: