Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Perfect Day

It's Valentines Day. Like Mother's Day and my birthday, I typically look at this day with a lot of senicism. It's never been a big deal to me. I think I've always had BIG expectations and then it always ended up ho-hum and so I think I've just given up on these days as ever being exceptionally special. Is this one of those feel sorry for myself blog entries? Nope, not all. What I do want to do is post about the best day I think I can remember in . . . years.

It was my birthday in 2006. Skip was retired - or semi-retired and had an extremely busy golfing schedule to keep up with. He really was pretty busy for a retired guy. However, I appreciated that he kept himself busy and out of my hair. Us women, we get a particulary set up in how we do things and then our men retire and mess it all up. That didn't really happen in our case, I don't think. Skip kept himself exceedingly busy.

However, on this day when we woke up to start our day Skip said to me, "After you take the kids to school I'd like to do whatever you want with the two of us." I was kind of taken back. Like, "Don't you have a golf date or something?" He repeated, "Today is your day and I want to do something - anything - with you that would make you happy."

Well, anyone who knows this girl knows EXACTLY what that would be (get your mind out of the gutter - that detail was a given). I said, "even tack up horses and go on a long trail ride?" He nodded and smiled and said, "if that's what you would like, Babe." I couldn't get those darlings of mine to school fast enough.

We did tack up two of my horses and set out on the most perfect trail ride EVER (well, the one Dave and I took was pretty amazing but . . .)! The day was sunny and warm and there was no wind and everything was nothing short of amazing. He was so nice to me and we got to chat about pleasant things (not kids or money). I just remember being so damn happy that day. It was the best.

Thank you, Skip, for that wonderful day. For that wonderful memory.

No comments: