Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

The American Dream

Warning: This post has the risk of becoming a wee bit heavy. Every once in awhile a girl just has to let go and let it out so here it is.

I had a chat with a good friend yesterday. The conversation opened my mind up to the possibility of what really is and what could or should be. I have since been pondering our conversation a lot.

Today I was in Pleasanton for a dental appointment. Afterward, I came outside and decided to lace up my shoes and go for my walk there since the day was sunny, warm and oh-so-inviting. As I was walking in this town that I used to live in such a seeming lifetime ago, I decided to see how many people I could make a connection with. I tried to make contact with every person that I encountered and only one would let me in.

I like to make eye contact, smile and say G'day (my walking greeting because I think it's funny when people do a double take at me and think I'm from Australia - which I'm SO not). Everyone else that I encountered on the walk avoided me at all costs. They pretended to be preoccupied with their dog or cell phone or whatever. Their shoulders were slumped over like the weight of the world was on board. Their eyes were dead. It made me sad for them. One woman was screaming at her child for messing up her perfectly laid out blanket for a picnic at the park or something.

So, here's the thoughts I came up with. Note: This is MY opinion and MY opinion only.

The American Dream should be less about chasing the almighty dollar and more about quality family life. Embracing those we love the most.

The American Dream should be less about Prozac and other prescription mind altering drugs and more about meditation to achieve that clarity that we all seem to be seeking.

The American Dream should be less about drugs and doctors and hospitals and more about connecting with the earth and taking advantage of the abundance of gifts that our Father in Heaven has provided for our use.

The American Dream should be less about acquiring more and more and more material possessions and more about simplicity and moderation and embracing what "is".

I see so much contrast in my family alone. There was me (ashamed to admit this, actually) who forced Brian to go to BYUI to get a degree. It backfired in the worst way and he was more miserable than if he had stayed here and continued his life of crime (lol). Now he is finally pursuing his passion and he is the happiest, I think, I have EVER seen him.

Right now I'm looking at my life the way it IS. I'm so ready to peel my white knuckles off of all these material possessions of ours and let them go. The only thing gained from wanting and getting the "thing" you want is the need and desire for more want. It's a ridiculous cycle that is actually a crazy addiction.

Thank you, my dear friend, for opening my eyes and helping me to see. I embraced that walk of mine today like I have never done before. I "saw" the people. I "saw" the trees. I "saw" the grass and the flowers and smelled the air (okay, it WAS nasty ass city air but you get the idea) and I heard the different sounds. It was a very spiritual walk and I will forever be grateful for all of it.

No comments: