Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Say My Name!!

I love my name. The name I was given when I was a baby by my parents is Jody Ann Nelson. My dad picked my first name (go Dad!! I LOVE it!!) and my mom picked my middle name. I think I was named after Queen Ann from England because of my British mom. It's all good.

When I was little, my mom and Bettye would call me "Apple Blossom". I think it was meant to be funny because I would kind of act like a typical blonde at times (well, I AM a blonde, duh!). When one of my blonde moments would occur I would hear, "Hey, Apple Blossom!" I was never offended and now the memory makes me laugh.

Well, when I worked at Walters & Wolf I earned the nickname of BOF. My boss, Jim Gross (who I nicknamed CMF - don't ask) gave me that name because he said I was a "ball of fire". Hmmm. Can you imagine that? Lol. Well, the name stuck and I was known by that name by everyone I worked with and even my first husband began calling me that. I would think that if Steven and I crossed paths today he would still refer to me as BOF. All that changed when I left the company and started doing the mom gig.

Lately, I've been going into Peets for my (almost) daily little blended yummification. Wow, this sounds like the beginning of a joke . . . So, this Mormon walks into the coffee shop . . . . Okay, anyway, when they ask my name I ALWAYS say "Sunshine". It's funny now because they all say "Good morning, Sunshine!" when I walk in the door. Every one of the employees has asked me if my name is really Sunshine and I always say, "Yep!" I mean, if I wanted to be called something else wouldn't I have said that in the first place? I love that they think I have a cool name. What's even cooler is that they know my drink now too (and I AM a wee bit high maintenance so that's WAY impressive).

Furthermore, when I walk into Vans, the health food store, I started a joke with them a while back and now they say "Norm!" I guess you would have had to watched Cheers, the TV show that was on like a bazillion years ago. When Norm would walk into the bar everyone in the place would turn and say "Norm!" So, that's where that little diddy comes from. However, I really don't want to be known as Norm. It's not as cool.

Another variation of my name came from my Swedish friend. I was laughing because I guess they pronounce their j's like y's. Although his accent is strong, it's not as strong as others I've heard so he didn't say it like "yody" unless he was kidding around. However, it WAS funny when the slip up occurred.

So, I guess the long and short of it is this . . . I LOVE the name I was given. I have never ever been one of these people that said "Damn! I hate my name!" Nope, I've always been proud of it. However, it is fun to have a nickname to play with. Right?

No comments: