Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Talk

Okay. This may be a wee bit personal but it's WAY too yummy for me to pass up.

Last night I was eating my amazing vegan dinner with my twins. Danielle was also in the kitchen doing her thing - preparing dinner for her and her husband. I had just taken a bite of food when Courtney (14 years old) says to me, "Mom, how DOES the stork deliver babies to you?" I almost choked on my food and had to cough to recover. "Wait . . . did you just say what I thought you just said?"

Okay, I'm a mom that has raised my children by being open and honest about everything with regards to their bodies. I have always used proper terminology about body parts(breasts, penis, vagina) and refrained from slang. There was never a time when I wasn't completely honest and forth right when asked even the most uncomfortable of questions (and I SWARE I NEVER told the "stork" story to any of my children - that just goes against everything I believe in!)

I have always been really comfortable in my own skin. Sexuality and nudity are not a problem with me. In fact, when Skip and I first started dating I think (I know) he was pretty taken back with how comfortable I was. He still ended up marrying this wild child hippie girl (way to take one for the team, Skip).

So, I turned to my 8th grade, 14 year old daughter and said, "So . . . how many sex ed classes have you had at school? Like at least four? You still haven't figured out the mechanics of reproduction?" She just gave me a blank stare like I was completely daft. Oh, God help me!!

I then said, "well, darling, it looks like you and I need to have "the talk". Danielle, in all her glory, burst out laughing and said, "PLEASE make sure that I'm home. I HAVE to record this one!"

Oh, you bet. I'm sure you're gonna catch this crazy wild mom in rare form!

No comments: