Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lessons From Daddy

Anyone who knows anything about me knows how much I love, admire, respect and try to be like my daddy. He's amazing!

Well, I have this neighbor, Mark, that has lived up here for 10+ years. Mark and I have had quite a tumultous relationship over the years. Several years ago I was out in the park running with my dogs and encountered Mark with his dogs. One of my dogs attacked his dog (oh crap) and left a wound. Mark went to the veterinarian and had the dog tended to and arrived at my doorstep several days later with the bill. I, of course, quickly wrote him a check and blubbered all over myself with apologies.

Since then when we have crossed paths up here, he is very careful to avoid eye contact and make minimal effort to have any kind of communication with me (even though I choose not to bring my dogs running with me anymore).

A couple years later there was an accident up here on the hill and none of us residents were able to pass by to our homes so we were stuck there. I noticed a woman in a truck behind mine so I got out to chat (knowing damn well she was Mark's wife). I approached her with my usual sunshine smile and said, "Hey, so are you Mark's wife?" She responded with, "Yes, but please don't hold that against me." Oh my gosh!! I freaking LOVE this woman! That's right, girl. Call it just like it is!!

This morning, I slipped out early to head up to the park to go for a long walk (yeah, walk not run because that charming knee of mine is still talking to me and saying that it's not okay to pound away just yet) to clear my head. I was very deep in thought when I was suddenly aware of two dogs running full speed ahead for me. Mark's dogs! I bent down and started petting them and saying, "well, good morning guys!" Mark was quick to arrive after his trusty canines and said, "They like you!" Um, yeah Mark, I'm not that freaking bad!!

I took the opportunity to look Mark in the eye and say, "Good morning, Mark. I'm so glad you are out enjoying your run while the weather is still cooperating."

"Oh is it supposed to rain today?" he asked
"Nah, mid week or so I hear. Today is just cloudy. Well, enjoy your run and have a perfect day!"

He (wait for it. . . . wait for it . . ) smiled and said, "You too, Jody!" Slam and dunk!! Yes, the crazy blond lady with red streaks in her hair (I just got some radical color in yesterday and I'm pretty proud of it) scores one for the team! And the crowd goes wild!

Yep, my Daddy always said, "Smile at everyone you meet and look them in the eye if you can and say 'hi'". And I do!

No comments: