Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Walk This Way!

Aerosmith. Yep, I used to dig on that song when I was younger. I think I still even have it on my ipod. Bad habits die hard, lol. However, as usual, that's now what my post is about (although I dig on all the hard rockers of my generation, don't get me wrong!)

I've been a runner since the beginning of time, I think. I competed in road races all through my 20's and trained at like 15 miles a day. I discovered (wisely) that it was the absolute perfect way to keep my ADHD (who, me?) in check and allow me to enjoy a fine, tight ass at the same time. I ate like a freaking cow and never gained an ounce. Yeah, smokin hot, I tell you!!!

Well, I quit competing when the children that needed to come out of my body started interfering with my good times. After almost bleeding to death after a run that I took a week after I gave birth to Brandilyn, I decided that my running shoes needed to take a bit of break. Well, kinda. I just didn't train as much or as hard. I still ran every day after I got better, though.

I guess somehow I tore my miniscus (don't know if I spelled that correctly but who gives a rip anyway, right?) recently and it hurts like a mofo. So, Doc says to walk. Wtf? I'm SO not a walker. I HATE walking! It sucks!

Well, while I was up in Montana, I got my happy arse out of bed at the butt crack of dawn each morning and walked 3-1/2 miles. It was colder than you can imagine (by California standards) but I did it nonetheless. I even tried to run a few steps and was quickly shut down by the screaming that was coming from that left knee. Damn! So, after the first day or so I discovered something . . . .

Wait for it, wait for it . . . . Miss Sunshine actually "likes" walking. I mean, I can walk uber fast and work up a sweat. I can actually enjoy the scenery (running, I find myself looking down a lot because I've experienced way too many face plants in the dirt from ignored obstacles). My brain kicks into a very beautiful place where I come up with all these fabulous ideas (just like running only I can kind of remember it better when I'm done). So, today I'm lacing up those running shoes of mine again and I'm heading out for my speed walk. Pretty excited!

No comments: