Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I can TOTALLY feel you!

One day this will all be explained to me but, as for today, I'm going to choose to be perplexed about why my body is designed this way. Long and short . . . I have a HIGH tolerance to anesthesia medication. It takes quite a bit of that stuff to do it's job on this girl.

I have always been like this. I remember when I was 15. I was laying on the operating table in that "zone" that you get in when they've given you the drug to calm you. That was fine. I remember the table being very cold. The surgeon was drawing pictures on my head of where he was going to operate. I remember thinking that was kind of funny and it tickled. THEN . . . I heard him say to his assistant, "Okay, hand me the scalpal." Wait . . .wtf? I opened my eyes to see if he was kidding. He took one look at me and exclaimed, "Why is this young lady still awake? What the hell is going on?" The drug dude was peeing all over himself as he started pumping drugs into my IV. I don't remember much (thank God) after that until I woke up in massive pain.

The next time, six months later, when I went in for the same surgery again, the doc PROMISED, "Jody, we have better drugs for you this time. You are not going to feel anything."

Everytime I've had to have major dental work done it's taken an act of congress to get this mouth of mine numb. I remember my dentist (damn good thing he's so good looking) doing a root canal and saying, "Jody, I don't know if I can finish this. You are stressing me out. I can't seem to get you numbed up." At this point I was hyperventilating and completely out of control.

Today . . . yep, right back there again. My dentist said, "Okay, I have NEW medicine that I'm going to try on you. You should be just fine and shouldn't feel a thing." I trusted him. Whoops! Bad idea! Sure enough he got into his "project" and I started going nuts. My body started shaking, I was cold and my breathing got out of control. I swear I was really trying to go to my happy place. Focusing on my breath, my third eye, even the white light coming from my heart like my friend taught me. Nothing was working. He finally stopped and just rammed massive quantities of some medication in my jaw. It finally did the trick but I've been "off" the rest of the afternoon.

So, there it is. I will always show up late for a dental appointment because I have to question myself the entire trip there, "is this REALLY a good idea?" Like I said earlier . . . it's a good thing I have a hot dentist and that I've been going to him for like 23 years.

No comments: