Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Fam Damily

Last night was magical. Really. ALL of my children were present. All SEVEN of them PLUS my sweet darling grand daughter. In addition, we had Brian's two room mates "the Swedes" and they inadvertently kept us highly entertained! LOVED it!

What's funny is that when Skip asked if we could do a BIG family dinner I must have looked like a deer in the headlights. WTF? You mean I have to COOK? Crap I hate on that. I'm not too useful when it comes to preparing animal flesh. However, my darling sweet Danielle was quick to jump to my rescue. She talked to Brian (who has the strongest opinion) and got the dinner order of the evening.

Me? Yeah, I got to prepare a few of my favorite vegan dishes. I made one dish that my friend had given me a recipe to. When I taste tested it I could tell that something was missing. I didn't know what. One of the Swedes, Dennis, had informed me that his mom owned a restaurant in Sweden so he knew how to cook. I asked him to taste this dish and tell me what was missing. He said, "I think it needs, ahhh, I can't say the English word for it. It's a long thin green vegetable." I said, "Like a jalepeno?" He said, "No, not jalapeno."

Hmmm. What could it be? I then said, "Say it in Swedish. Maybe Ham (the other Swede) can translate." He then said, "In Sweden we call it "celery"." The room went silent and then we all burst out laughing. Alrighty then!

Anyway, it was so amazing to have all my babies gathered together for the evening. We even got pictures of all of them, them with the Swedes and then the kids insisted that Mom and Dad jump in for a photo (please! I didn't do my make-up and get the right wardrobe on!).

After the boys had taken off to go party for the last night of the weekend, us girls hung out in the kitchen and laughed until we cried. I love my babies so dang much! I'm sad this morning as two of my babies left to go back to their lives. It's amazing to watch them grow up to be wonderful adults but there's a part of my heart that still wants them with me.

No comments: