Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Way We Were

Day #15: a photo of you and someone you love

I would be remiss if I didn't post a picture of Skip. I did consider, however, of posting a picture of Black Horse or Pierre but then I came to my senses. So here's today's photo:
This is our wedding day in 1987. Check out that corduroy jacket and how thin I am! Oh, and our hair, wow!
Skip and I had planned on the day that we wanted to get married but we shared the news with no one. We left work on Friday and drove up to Tahoe. We called his parents as we were leaving town (he couldn't keep the news to himself any longer). When we arrived at our hotel room that night, there was a lovely basket of fruit and cool stuff that his parents had sent. It was super nice. Our room had a wonderful fire place in it and it was really cozy.

The next day, Saturday, we went to Love's Wedding Chapel and got married by Reverend Love. The only two other people in attendance that day was the reverend and his wife (the photographer). It was funny because she snapped pictures during the whole ceremony. When everything was said and done, she opened up the camera and handed us the roll of film. Done! It was simple and intimate . . . just the way we wanted it.

As we were driving home on Sunday, we called my parents to let them know what we had done. Of course, they were happy for us. We had been dating for about two years so they knew it was coming. Going to work on Monday with a new last name was a great experience. Of course, shortly thereafter, I was no longer allowed to be Skip's secretary. Hmmm. Oh well, the trade off has been great.

Our journey together has not always been easy. We've had our share of rough times. However, there is no other on this earth that I would rather share the good times and the rough times with. I'm grateful for the decision we made on that chilly day in April of 1987 and I look forward to some really terrific times ahead. I love you, babe.

2 comments:

brandilyn said...

i love this picture of you guys! i love how dated it is! i love your hair!!

David said...

Man this is a classic!