Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Visitors

I have always been a Visiting Teaching scrooge. I mean, I do my visiting teaching really well. I'm pretty much up there in the perfection range when it comes to that. However, when it comes to me receiving my teachers? Um, yeah, not so much.

Let me take a step backward to accomodate anyone who reads my blog that is not familiar with my church (although I can't imagine who would be reading this really in the first place other than my mom and my daughters and, oh yeah, my husband). Visiting teaching is a program that our church has for the sisters (women). We are assigned a companion and are assigned approximately three sisters from our ward (congregation) that we visit each month to make sure life is A-OK with them and then also to share a spiritual message with. If and when there is a problem with a sister that you have been assigned you get to do the best you can to help them out or turn to someone who can. Often, we become good friends. It's actually a pretty great program.

Okay, back to your's truly aka ME!!! So my teachers came today. They called last week and made an appointment (imagine that). I haven't had a visit in a year. I have my buddies and my besties and I'm pretty good about leaning on them (and vise versa) when I'm in a bind. Even though these ladies are already friends of mine, I still am pretty difficult about making time for them to come and visit me. I think the drive to my place (1/2 hour from town) coupled with the fact that when I'm home I just want to be in my zone (I don't like phone calls or interuptions) might be the reason for this attitude of mine. I can't really say.

Okay, back to today. They arrived. I'm struggling with a huge family issue right now. It's a pretty big thing and it has me pretty upset and down :( . One of the sisters arrived with a pretty awesome smelling candle (just as a fall gift) that smells AWESOME. The other one made me a green smoothie (a mainstay in my life) that was pretty amazing. We sat and visited in my kitchen and laughed a LOT! It was such a nice treat for me. A nice escape from what's eating at me. When they left, I still had a warm smile on my face.

This afternoon? Life doesn't seem all that bad suddenly. I feel lighter, brighter and more capable of taking on the problems at hand. Maybe I've been missing the boat on this visiting teaching thing all along. Hmmm.

No comments: