Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Sobering Experience

Day #17: a drunk photo of you

Lol. You think? I think that this 30 day challenge was obviously created by someone who likes to party and run their life a little different than I do. However, I do have something to share in this department . . .

No, this is not a picture of me drunk. No this is not even a picture of me. This right here is a picture of my beautiful daughter, Brandilyn. What does this have to do with me being drunk? Well, actually, there is a story here.

The last time I got slammin drunk, back in 1988, I woke up the next morning with a whoppin hangover. That hangover just kept with me for days. Finally, I decided that something bad was wrong with me - like I was dying or something. A friend gently suggested that I take a PG test. I thought she was daft but did it to humor her. Holy crap! It was positive!!!

Skip and I were pretty scared because I had tied one on not knowing that Brandilyn was on board. However, eight months later when my perfect (except for her different sized thumbs) baby girl was born, we were exceedingly relieved. Of course, there was the screaming and demands of a high need baby and Skip consistently accused me of damaging our child with my carelessness. Several years later we would realize that it was just my darling daughter's determined personality that was shining through.

I'm glad to say that that was the last time I got really drunk. I never touched the stuff while I was pregnant and then I did have some champagne on December 9, 1989 when one of my best friends got married. The next day, December 10, 1989, I went to my first sacrament meeting at our church by invitation from a woman I had met and haven't looked back since. I haven't touched the stuff and, frankly, don't miss it at all.

I don't miss the hangovers. I don't miss not remembering what happened the night before. I don't miss having to apologize for my behavior. I don't miss any of it. So if I can be grateful for my children for one thing, it would be that they motivated me to clean up my life.

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

oh man, i got nervous when i saw a picture of me and what day you were on in the photo challenge. hahahaha. thank you for saying nice things about me! you make me feel so special. i'm glad you don't drink anymore, too.