Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Happy Fish

Brian started his job at the Happy Fish Swim School. That sounds like a dorky place to work (cuz of the name) but actually he loves his job. He LOVES working with little kids (especially ones with ADHD like him) and he LOVES how much they respect him and look up to him. Some of you who know the struggles that I/we have had with Brian would think that this is a joke (the part about little kids respecting him) but it has actually saved my son and I am so grateful.

Brian, like many teenagers, has made choices that are (how should I say this?) damaging. He hasn't exactly lived up to the expectations that Skip and I have had for him and for all of our children. But, we love him and we have been through all of this before with the girls and Cory so we have just buckled up and prepared for a rocky ride.

This year has been especially rough. We have had some really bad days. I have shed some serious tears and have felt like there was no hope. I went to the temple on a few occasions and poured out my heart in the Celestial Room only to be left with the impression that my Heavenly Father loves Brian so much and that I needed to back off and let Father care for him. I have, pretty much and now the payoff begins.

Brian told me tonight that his party days are over. He tried it, he liked it, he had hella fun doing it, he doesn't regret a minute of it (funny, I can relate to ALL of this!) and now it's time to grow up (yeah, he said this) and get on with his life. He has too many good things going for him to have the reputation as a "stoner". In addition (and this is the kicker) he noticed that his body was going to heck. He was getting flabby and didn't seem to care about his grades, his body or any other part of his self-image (all part of the scene).

Getting this job has brought my boy back. I'm thinking I need to pay THEM for this gift. However, all I can say is this: Welcome back, Bri. We love you and are so happy to have our happy, fun kid back. You are such a ray of sunshine in my life. Oh, and . . . HAPPY FISH ROCKS!!!

No comments: