Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Procrastinator!

So in listening to my audio book today, one of the lessons I came away with was that procrastination is one of the most destructive things one can do to oneself when they are trying to move ahead (duh). As ridiculous as it sounds, I am astounded by what a procrastinator I am. I truly am! I never (and who does) want to think of myself as one but, truly I am.

I notice when there is a stack of bills sitting on my desk I detour as far away from my office as possible (which sucks because it is right next to my bedroom). Then, when I actually do sit down at my desk I hide them in a basket under the side of my desk so I won't see them. Now, common sense tells me that they do, eventually, need to get paid and all the receipts entered in my ledgers but somehow putting off the task seems like the only option. Of course, it is SUCH a relief when it is finished.

Then there is dinner. I hate the whole process. Brainstorming about the menu, writing the shopping list, going to the store (yuck, I REALLY hate this part), bringing home the groceries and putting them away and then actually bringing myself into the kitchen to put the whole mess together and call if a meal. I don't care for any part of it. No sir, not me! However, when the fam is fed and I'm doing dishes (ironically I really do enjoy this part), I'm feeling a huge sense of relief - that is, until tomorrow night . . .

Another thing I put off and put off is the whole ceremony of buying gifts for the kids for Christmas and birthdays. I really hate this job too. Oh, I'm happy when they're happy, sure enough. But the whole thing about buying and (gag) wrapping the gifts sucks. It's kind of like dinner all over again. I'm relieved when the whole section of the year from mid-November to mid-February is over (that seems to be when the major influx of gift buying is in my family). Of course, then there is next year . . .

So, yeah, I'm a procrastinator!!!! I admit it! What am I going to do about it? I don't know for sure. Just know that I acknowledge my weakness and I guess that's the first step to recovery. Right?

No comments: