Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Present


Brandilyn and Dave have just left. I put on my sneakers, tearfully kiss my sweet husband good-bye and head for the park with my dogs. I love this place. It is my sanctuary. I have laughed, pondered, meditated, cryed and poured out my soul to God here. The only place more spiritual for me would be the temple. This is closer geographically.

I hike for quite a ways - always off the beaten path, that is my way. I love discovering different areas of this place. I love feeling close to the natives that walked here so many years ago and made this their home. I feel their spirits close to my own. I long to know them. To know how they lived, laughed, loved and what they were like. That is not for today, though.

Finally, I come to a rock off the Manzanita trail that is made just for me today. It has moss and small weeds to pad the "seat" that is perfect to curl my body into. The sun is on my face and there is a gentle breeze. Aw, so close to heaven in this place.

I hear a dog way in the distance barking at some disturbance in his life. Way overhead about 20,000 feet I hear the faint noise of a plane carrying passengers to some other location - probably most of them returning from their holiday vacationing. I look off to my right a bit and can see Los Vaqueros reservoir. The water level is rising from the rains we have had. It looks healthy and serene. To the left a bit is the valley floor. I can hear a gentle hum from the energy of the life below. This hum reminds me of the energy that is there and then I suddenly turn my attention to the energy that is in me! Yes! I have enough energy in me to light up that whole city down there. Amazing!

Back to the task at hand. Yes, this place. This lovely place. There are cows grazing not too far from me. I can hear a cow call to her calf and them bustling about as they are attempting to find the perfect spot of grass. Such simple creatures. We are way too complicated. There are birds singing here and there. The wind blows in my face reminding me that I need to go back home. Back to that life that I am molding.

Yes, coming here and forcing myself to be present is a blessing. It feels good to feel good again and I recognize how wonderful my body feels. I am walking back and as I get closer to my car, my heartstrings just tug a little more. What am I doing? I am here. I am right here, right now, in the present. Nothing else matters.

No comments: