Pages

Friday, January 23, 2009

Bopper Tunes

What is it about music? I remember when I was a kid how my mother just thought our rock-n-roll was the music of the devil. She was constantly yelling at us to turn that "damn stuff" off. The louder we played it the more we loved it, the more she yelled and screamed how "horrible, absolutely horrible" the "noise" was.

Okay, fast forward several years and we have today. My teenagers are pretty cool and I really dig their tunes for the most part. I enjoy rap, some R & B and a lot of various other genres. I haven't heard much that I don't care for except for the hard-core swearing on some of the songs. I consider myself a fairly progressive mom. My 18 year old, Brian, mostly listens to country in the mornings when he's getting ready and that is kind of pushing the limits for me. I used to like country but it got too whiney for me.

Which brings me to my point. My 11 year old daughter, Courtney, listens to teeny bopper music. I can't stand it!!! It's just whiney little teen girls singing about stuff they have no business singing about. There is no way on earth these little 14 and 15 year old girls could possibly have had the experiences, heartbreaks or other such adventures that they sing about. Could they? Every time she's in her room, which has a common wall with my office, she turns on this stuff and I cringe! Argh!!! I want to shout, "turn that horrible stuff down!!". I anxiously look at the clock and count the seconds until her bedtime so that she will turn it off.

So, is this one of those times when someone says to me, "What goes around comes around?" I sure hope not. It's funny, because my mother would have given anything for me to be listening to that stuff. So, yeah, I guess it is the whole coming around thing. Ugh.

No comments: