Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Apple. Tree.

As I was texting my beautiful daughter in Idaho this morning she said something that reminded me of myself. I replied, "Apple. Tree." That has always been our little code to each other that reminds the both of us how much we are alike. I have been told that she is the "spitting image of her mother" since she was a teeny tiny little girl. My friends have always laughed at the things that she did as a child and then they would say something like, "Oh, I can't wait until she starts talking like you." (I used to have very colorful language - let's just leave it at that)

Anyway, I have always been very proud of my little girl. My princess. She's not so little any more but I am so proud of her nonetheless. She has accomplished so much more in her nineteen years than I have in my entire life. Here are some ways we are a lot alike:
  • We both love horses - it's just in our blood
  • We love to read
  • We love to write
  • We are sarcastic as all get out - guess that's in our blood too
  • We married guys with similar personalities and character traits (argh)
  • Animals make us smile - we especially love to rescue neglected, abused creatures
  • We LOVE to shop (that might just be a female thing, though)
  • Kids drive us nuts!!! The smaller they are the more annoying they seem to be. Babies? YUCK!
  • Yoga, yoga, yoga
  • We are both just hippies at heart.
  • We make friends that last a lifetime

Okay, so here are some things that define us as individuals:

  • Horses, yes. I like the freedom of running in the hills - she likes the safety of an arena
  • She is very smart and quick witted - I tend to be a more average intelligence
  • She did it right and got married in the temple the first time - I, well, didn't. I did, however, finally figure it out and make it right
  • I'm a runner and thrive on pushing my body to the absolute limit - she tends to be a little more conservative in her exercise regimen (I think I'm more like her husband in this area)
  • She is fanatical about being punctual - I tend to think punctuality is over rated and am pretty laid back in my approach to the whole subject (drives my husband crazy)
  • I'm pretty orderly and like things tidy - um, well, we just aren't the same in this department

So there it is! She is my Oboe Joboe (don't ask - it's just a nickname) and my best friend. I love her to pieces and I'm honored to be the tree that has produced such a perfect apple.

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

i love you, too, mom!