Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

If I could do it over again I would . . .

The sarcastic thing to write here would be "I wouldn't" but that's not entirely true. I would do a lot of the things the same. However, some of the things that would be different would be:

  • Maintain a "cat free" life. Sorry to all those who love those little fur balls but they just don't do it for me.
  • Teach and insist that my children work around the place. Expect them to participate in things like dishes, animal feeding, laundry and the like
  • NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pay allowance to my children (only to me, lol). Everything MUST be EARNED (and, dang it, I earned it!)!!!
  • have stayed in that affordable house that we bought when we got married. We'd own our home right now and be completely debt free!
  • NEVER use a credit card. Oh, I'd have them for dire emergencies but I would NEVER use them for daily purchases. If you can't afford it, you certainly don't NEED it!
  • have insisted that my children be home for dinner, family prayer, scripture study and FHE. These are important and somehow got kicked to the curb early on. Sigh.
  • Have never EVER missed a date night with the love of my life.
  • Allowed my children to enjoy their friends but then ALWAYS say "good night". Sleepovers are the bane of my existence!
  • Have just left my family unit the way it is and not allowed my children to talk me into their "down and out" friends living with us. That one has shot me in the foot every single time.
  • Have made my children buy their own vehicles, pay for their own gas, upkeep and insurance and allowed them to sweat it out on their own.

Oh, there's more but, like I said, a lot of things I would still do the same. I would still have married Mr. Wonderful, I would still love Pierre and Black Horse and I would still have ALL of my children. My life just wouldn't be perfect without each and everyone of them.

Regrets are a waste of time. I've learned from my mistakes and I'm just putting this out there for anyone who is just beginning their journey and might want to glean some wisdom from someone who is a little further along on their journey.

No comments: