Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 10: Berkeley!


I snagged this photo collage from Brandilyn's blog. Sorry to those of you that read both of our blogs. However, our day in Berkeley was WAY awesome. Brandilyn and I like a lot of the same things which makes it even more magical.

On the top left is the WAY cool herb store we popped into. I wanted to move in and stay FOREVER! When I grow up, this is what I want to own. I totally mean it! They had gallon glass jars all up and down the wall on the left full of various herbs. They had books galore and some really cool other items that I just adored.

Another of my fave stores was the rock store. I know that that sounds funny but I like rocks! Not a lot of rocks just a few here and there that I put on my mommy's copper tray by my incense in my room. I enjoy looking at them and remembering the various places I got them (mostly at THIS rock store over the years). Anyway . . . WAY funny story here. While I was wandering through the store looking for THE rock, Brandilyn discretly pointed out to me that the owner appeared to be dipping out and hitting off of his "pipe" (yeah, I know, only in Berkeley, right?). Well, I finally picked out my rock and went up to the counter to ask him how much it is. He informed me it was $7. Ouch! I said, "I'll just set it here and think about it a minute." (thinking, "he'll probably take a few more hits off that pipe and change his tune").

Sure enough, he slipped out the front door again while I was finishing up with picking out my beads, etc. He came back in and the cashier trainee asked him again how much my rock was. He looked at me and said, "$3". (Hmmm. This is going quite well!) He then informed her that he sizes up his customer. Looks at her shoes, asks her where she's from, checks out her clothes and yadda, yadda, yadda. He then asked me where I'm from. "Livermore." He then says that that tells him I'm not local and probably won't be in again anytime soon. I then piped up and said that whenever I come to Berkeley I absolutely MUST come to this rock store and pick out a rock because it's my FAVORITE rock store. He say, "Favorite, huh? Well, then I say that this rock is free for you today!"

Yep! Free!!! Score me! I will ALWAYS and FOREVER treasure that rock (and fondly think of that magical pipe).

Yes, Berkeley is always full of fun surprises.

No comments: