Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Porridge

It's funny how life is full of little cycles.
I grew up eating hot cereal every morning for breakfast. My mother, being from England, always called it "porridge" (like the three bears) so we did too. It was my job for a period of time to prepare the big pot of porridge (there were seven of us kids) while the boys were out feeding the animals and milking the cow. For whatever reason, I thought it was fun to put one raisin in the porridge and then see who scored the raisin.
Well, I HATED having porridge for breakfast every morning. I thought it was stupid and tasted like crap. I even made up fun things when I told my friends what I had for breakfast because I was embarassed to admit that I had "porridge".
Fast forward to my life as a mom. I cook a variety of things for my children for breakfast. This morning, after I woke up the twins, I asked Jacob what he would like for breakfast. He said, "OATMEAL!!"
So here I am making a pot of cereal. Instead of hiding a raisin, though, I put bananas and strawberries and they loved it! Now, I wonder what they will tell their friends they had for breakfast this morning . . .

No comments: