Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Cycling UP

This morning, like most mornings, I'm driving Courtney to school. She's pretty quiet - not entirely unusual. Half way down the hill, she says, "Mom, I had a really embarassing thing happen at school yesterday."

Me: Do tell
C: Well, we were sitting at lunch and one of the girls said that Susie (name changed) has the biggest "boobs" out of all of us then Mary (name changed) has the next biggest. Someone then said to me, "what is your boob size?" I said that I didn't have one.

Insert note: True story. Courtney's body still hasn't done the woman thing and she's pretty tiny. She's 85 pounds and 4'9"

Me: Well, hon, you have to admit that your body still is stuck in little girl mode. I'm not going to say that's a bad thing but . . .
C: (Sniff sniff and grabbing tissue and smearing mascara everywhere)
Me: Why are you crying? What's up? Are you sad because you don't have breasts?
C: Yeah. I just want to be like everyone else. I'm the smallest kid in the 8th grade. I hate it.
Me: Court, embrace where you are! I promise, one day you will wish you didn't have to deal with all the stuff that comes with being a woman. We always want what we don't have - it's human nature, I guess. Be okay with where you are! (Eternally the cheerleader, right?)
C: I guess you're right, Mom. Can we sit here for a minute while I get myself together? I'm embarassed to get out right now.
Mom: Sure, take your time. The fact that you're crying tells me that you're about to experience being a woman pretty dang soon, though.
C: (Laughing) Really? Because I really don't know why I'm crying. I feel stupid.
Me: Don't feel stupid. All of us women go through this. I just wish I could stop at the breast store and grab you some breasts but I don't think that's gonna happen.
C: (Laughing harder) Love you, Mom. Have a good day (exit car)

Yep, let the games begin!

No comments: