Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Addict

I have an addictive personality. It's the way I was born. It's one of the fun challenges that I've been blessed with it. I come by it honestly. I met my biologicial mom about 20 years ago and, holy moly! Yup, I know EXACTLY where I got it from! Both of my biological sisters - same thing. Lucky, lucky us.

Actually, I really mean that! We are lucky. If I wasn't given this challenge then I probably would have been given another challenge that is way harder. Like the one I just realized an old friend has been dealing with. I won't go into details but gratitude for our own challenges is a good thing.

Okay, so a person that I respect challenged me to give up something that I love for 40 days. I joked on Facebook that I choose my children. Of course, one person got pretty upset that I wrote that. Obviously that person has no clue that I'm a bit sarcastic. Duh! I don't really choose my children. I chose to give up Starbucks. Yes, I admit it. I have a Starbucks problem. There's a specific drink that I decided made me happy and I'm walking away from it for 40 days (well 35 more days at this point, but who's counting, right?). And, to be perfectly honest, Peet's has the better version of said drink but when I said Starbucks I meant ALL drinks of this nature. Is this hard? You bet your bippy it's hard! I'm hating on it.

I remember once I was supposed to list my good qualities on a piece of paper. Can't remember why that was assigned to me but I did it. One of the things I wrote was "self control". Skip looked at the list and scoffed at that. "Self control? You are the LEAST controlled person I know!" Actually I take that as a compliment but it wasn't meant as such (because I'm a bit quirky like that). I then went on to explain I had amazing self control, thank you very much. I have given up smoking cigarettes TWICE. I have given up alcohol (that was a toughie). I have given up Diet Coke (harder yet). I have given up some other things that I won't divulge here. After hearing that he said, "Well, in that respect, I guess you do have some self control." Ahem, thanks.

So for this 40 days I gain a few things. 1. I think I'll save about $200. Wow! That's a lot of Starbucks dough. 2. Everytime I think I can't live another second with my Bucks, I get to think about how grateful I am for FIVE things. 3. Um . . . the time I wait in line at the Bucks for my drink? Okay, I'm stretching it there. But there are blessings in sacrifice.

No comments: