Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Detached

A friend and I were have a convo today. The subject about me being a pretty detached person came up. She said, "You have got to be the MOST detached person I know. You have such a thick wall around you." Yep, she's right. I don't let anyone get too close. That way I can't get too hurt. Right?

Well, my yoga teacher says that "non attachment" is a good thing. I like that. However, a good friend of mine suggested I read this book and the book indicates that we need to push past the fear of getting hurt and open ourselves up. Hmmm. Not happening without a LOT more therapy. Just sayin . . .

I'm also feeling pretty grateful that I've been blessed with not being too attached to "stuff". I'm not a materialistic person. In fact, the other day my journal topic was, "What is the one thing you could not throw out?" My answer? My yoga mat. Which makes the following so funny.

About 8 years ago Skip and I had the following conversation:

S: Where are you?
J: Tracy on 580 heading back to Livermore. What's up?
S: I need you to drive your truck (that would be my pride and joy F150 1-1/2 cab that I loved) to the "L" street car wash and get it detailed.
J: What? Why?
S: Because it's a mess.
J: Um, yeah but it's MY mess. I'm the one that lives with my grossness! Wtf?
S: Well, I sold your truck and we need to deliver it to the buyer this afternoon.
J: You sold my truck? What are you thinking? YOU SOLD MY TRUCK?? What am I supposed to drive?
S: I bought you a new truck. We're going to go pick it up tonight.
J: What? I don't WANT a new truck. I like this truck!
S: I know but the new truck is a 4-door and you will like it a lot. I promise.
J: Whatever! (abruptly hanging up the phone - and probably throwing it at this point).

Well, I DID get that new truck. I was right. I loved my old truck better. The new truck was nice but it didn't have the zip that my old truck had. Anyway, two years later Brian slammed it into a power pole at 50 mph. As if that wasn't enough, the job was finished when the telephone pole fell on top of the truck smashing it and eliminating electricity in most of Livermore for the next 14 hours. Brian walked away just fine, fyi.

Good thing I never got too attached to that new truck. But, DANG, I sure do miss the white truck. So, maybe there is a thing or two that I have become a bit attached to after all.

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

hey, be attached to everything and everyone like me! the hurt hurts worse, but the love is so much lovelier!