Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Scrooge

Yes, I know I need to get back and finish my last two entries of the 30-day photo challenge and I WILL do that as soon as I have a quick minute. However . . . I have a thought that I just want to put out there for myself to read later and ponder. I saw someone's post on Facebook yesterday that has me thinking quite a bit:
What was Christmas like before the presents?
Enough said? Yeah, well I was in complete and absolute denial about Christmas all year. I was determined that it was NOT going to happen in my home. Money, time and just plain being disgusted with some of my offspring had brought me to that point.
Then, something really yucky happened. I, once again, had a recurring nightmare where it was Christmas morning and there were NO presents. Of course, this time I was laughing to myself as the children had walked out on Christmas morning to find nothing. I was so happy that they had astonished looks on their faces as if there had been some cruel joke played on them. I was just so gleeful. Then, this old Grinch actually started to feel kind of bad. Yeah, the cold heart started to melt and warm up. Nnnnoooo!!! No, no NO! I want them to be miserable! I want them to hurt like they hurt me this year! This can't be happening!

Of course, there are a couple of my children that haven't hurt me at all. Actually they've been a complete and absolute blessing in my life. How could I be doing this cruel evil thing to them? Then I woke up and realized that, yes, I actually DO have to do this Christmas thing. But, wait! It's like December 9th and I haven't done squat! Holy crap!

Then I went on my annual visit to see my mommy and my sister up north. They definitely got me in the Christmas mode. Especially when Gail was online ordering her presents and then clicked off her computer saying "Wow! Good thing I got all my Christmas shopping finished. It's like only two more days before the guaranteed shipping for Christmas is cut off."

Say what? Did I hear you correctly? OMG! I jumped online and started frantically trying to figure out this whole ordeal. I came home and Heavenly Father sent me a wonderful blessing named Brandilyn. Yup, that girl has kicked my shopping butt for the last three days. We've pretty much got the whole deal signed, sealed and delivered.

So that brings me to this . . .
Yeah, there I am sitting at my desk with a pile of bills, Christmas cards and list upon list upon list of things to do before the BIG day. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you . . . Miss Scrooge here actually hosted the party for our barn friends last night and had a great time in spite of myself. Go figure.

But really, wouldn't this holiday be a lot more meaningful without all the presents?

No comments: