Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Hair Do or Not

"Courtney! Hurry up! We're late! Dog gone it, hurry up! I'll be in the car and you had better be there like NOW!!! Do you hear me?"

The sound of little running feet. "I'm coming, Mom!!"

In the car I begin backing out of the garage as I catch a glimpse of my disheveled daughter. Long, knotted hair sticking every which way, clothes half assembled and the absence of shoes and socks. "Are you kidding me? You have had one hour to pull yourself together and this is what you come up with? Your hair is a stinking mess!!!!"

"I know, Mom. I'm still getting ready. I'll be ready by the time we get to school. Promise."

Arriving at school. I turn around to kiss her good-bye. The knotted hair is pulled sloppily into a scrunchy with sticky uppies all over the place. "You are a mess! Are you really going to school looking like that?"

"Bye Mom. Love you!!" Off she goes. Sigh.

After school pick-up. Messy child boards the vehicle. "I've so had it with that hair. We are going to get it cut off today. I'd be happy with a flat top at this point!" Pouty face. No words.

At the hair salon. "She needs a short hair cut that she can manage. Please donate the long hair to Locks of Love."

The beautician smiles and indicates that the knotted mess might be a task to save but she will try. More irritation on my part. Boy, I'm gonna get her good this time!!!

Leaving the salon. Smiling, happy child. "Mommy, I just love my hair. This is the greatest haircut. Thank you soooooo much for letting me get my hair cut. I'm so happy. I can't wait to show my friends."

Arriving home to see Dad (Oh, he's gonna give it to her because I already told him what went down). "Courtney, your hair cut looks good!" Bigger smiles. Happier child. "Can't wait to shower and style my hair" child.

Sigh. Guess who got the last laugh.