Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Off to Camp!

I never realized it before but I guess I'm a little protective of Jacob. He's a special needs kid and goes to a special class at school that is equipped to handle just the challenges that he presents. I love him to death and am constantly entertained by his crazy world.

Yesterday, however, I got thrown a curve ball. As I was picking my little darling up from school, I was presented with a packet of paperwork to sign him up for Outdoor Ed. His teacher thinks he's ready - he will leave for a whole week and go to an outdoor school up in the Santa Cruz mountains. I was like, "He's never even had a sleepover before!!"

Holy heck! Who do you think was more freaked out, me or Jacob or the teacher? Yup, your's truly. I came home with all kinds of reasons why I didn't think he should go and every single one of them was shot down. I even told him that the banana slugs would suck on his gross teeth at night if he didn't brush them and he informed me that 1) that was gross (but I assured him it was true!) and 2) brushing his teeth would NOT pose a problem.

So this morning I signed the check, filled out the paperwork and have one very happy and excited little boy. He's already packing, if you can believe that, and camp isn't for two more weeks. I think I'm gonna be one of those sniveling moms that I hate so much. Yeah, this is #7 out 7 going to Outdoor Ed. I cryed a lot when Cory left and haven't shed a tear since - in fact, I've been quietly jumping for joy every time one of the little darlings was leaving.

Check in with me in two weeks and see how it went. I'm gonna put on a tough act, but . . .

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

LIES!! you TOTALLY cried when i went to camp!! jake's going to do fine. he'll have a blast. how cool that he's so excited for something...something other than hot wheels, i mean :)