Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Tortoise and the Hare

The other day someone close to me phoned me for some help. While we were talking it occurred to me that her life seemed out of control. Oh, how I remember those days. Her son had misplaced his lacrosse stick and she was LIVID! He had the "game of the year" the next day and NO STICK!!! Wow. Her voice was elevated, her speech was insanely rushed and I could tell that she was at her wit's end. I felt pretty bad for her.

What's funny is that my life used to be like that. I know that that is what I probably sounded like to my friends and family as I would describe all the important things that NEEDED to be done IMMEDIATELY or my world would spin out of control. I had kids in 4H, soccer, baseball, dance, swim lessons, church activities, horse lessons, etc. etc. etc. I was crazy out of control and THOUGHT that that was how I thrived. Wrong!!!!!!

Today my life is so much different. None of my kids are involved in any activities. Jacob doesn't even attend scouts because it is at a random time and day of the week that just doesn't work for me. We don't do Courtney's Achievement Day Girls because it is too late at night and I'm pretty sure that her getting a good night's rest is far more important than making crafts. We come home, do homework (haven't figured out how to elimiate that activity yet) and go on hikes or ride horses or just do stuff around the house. It's a beautful thing.

I am reminded of a story that happened several years ago. I was out running and one of my children was on their bike going along with me. At one point, my child wanted to "race" and get way ahead of me. I just kept chugging along and, lo and behold, I came across a $5 bill. I scooped it up and waved it in front of my child when I caught up to them. They were like, "Hey! Where did you get that?" I said, "You rode right past it in your hurry to beat me home!" Uh huh, you got it!

I LOVE being a tortoise. You can have that "hare" life of yours. I'm gonna take it nice and slow, enjoy the ride and pick up the wonderful treasures I find on the way.

No comments: