Pages

Friday, March 6, 2009

New Shoes

Jacob's shoes were a mess. They had holes in the soles and looked like a ratty mess! No other way around it. He's been asking and asking for me to go out and get him some new shoes. Life is busy and I just plain didn't want to part with the dough.
Yesterday, I finally gave in. I dread these shopping trips with my boys. They take so dog gone long to select anything and then the challenge of finding their size just is the topping on the cake.
Well, Jacob walked right into Kohls and spotted these little beauties. I informed him that the likelihood of finding his size wasn't too terrific (and they call me the Queen of Positive Thinking?). My son had faith and it didn't let him down. There it was. His size and all. And, get this, they were the most inexpensive "cool" shoes on the display! Score us!!!
He just couldn't wait to get them on his feet. As soon as we were in the car he had the old shoes in the garbage and the new ones on. Wow! This morning all he has talked about are his new shoes. How Noah is going to be sorry because now Jacob can run faster than him. How everyone is going to think how cool his new shoes are (please, someone notice). Then there is the fact that he is in a "mainstream" class at school now and he wants the other kids to think he's just like them (cuz shoes are what make the man).
It never ceases to amaze me that such a simple purchase can light up a child's life so much. We spend so much money, time and effort on trying to buy the perfect this and the perfect that for our kids when they are just as happy with the simple (and inexpensive) things. Now, how do we get the teenagers to subscribe to this thinking?

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

his new shoes were the FIRST thing he told dave and i about on the phone last night!! jacob is such a neat kid. i'm writing a personal essay about him for my creative writing class; i'll let you read it when i'm done :)