Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Saving the Day

Yesterday I went out for my lesson on Black Horse. It wasn't a typical lesson. The bull at the ranch had gotten out and my trainer, Irene, and the ranch owner, Jeanine, were trying to round the rascal up. Irene shouted, "Jody, get on that black horse of yours and help us out!" Oh yeah, I sprang into action.

One thing about my horse riding experience is that I grew up in a Western saddle. I have only dabbled in the English hunter/jumper world as of the last 8 or 9 years. I love it, but it's not where my comfort zone is by any means. So, here am I in my English saddle trotting out on Black Horse to "help out".

The bull broke through the gate and took off way the heck and gone and took the cows and calves with him. Darn booger! Black Horse was up for task - even if his rider wasn't. He was fired up! (He NEVER is fired up so this was something new for me). While Irene, Jeanine and Jen (my friend that rides on Tuesdays with me) kind of stayed back Black Horse charged on and we took off across all the fields until we came upon the herd. Like a champ, Black Horse wasn't even the slightest bit nervous about the cattle. He just trotted along behind them. I was a proud mama.

We even went straight (and I mean STRAIGHT) down in a gulley and up the other side (yes, in the English saddle, no less). We were dodging ground squirrel holes and all. He even dropped his front leg in one and plowed through it. I had to admit I was a bit nervous at first but was able to settle in and enjoy the experience.

When I got to my yoga class a bit later, I announed that I had had an "out of body experience". When I replayed my adventure my yoga instructor corrected me and said that I had had an "awesome in body experience" and that my energy was pretty amped up.

Whatever you want to call it, I don't care. It was one of the best lessons I have ever had! Black Horse, YOU ROCK!!!

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

hahaha FUN! who knew he had a cow horse in him?!