Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Money, money, money

Money seems to be the topic of the week, for our family. We are in Cabo San Lucas where everywhere you turn someone has their hand out for money. We go into a shop to admire something and they are in your face to make a deal with you. You walk down the street and someone is approaching you to get money from you. You go out on the beach to sit and watch your children play in the water and are approached numerous times to buy something or another. I am amazed at the variety of ways these people can find to turn a buck.

Then there is the challenge on the homefront. We left Brian home with his brother, Cory, for the week. Brian, being 18 years old, we felt was somewhat responsible, or at least should be somewhat responsible. We gave him $265 on Friday to cover incidentals and gas for the week while we were out of town. To any teenager that would seem like a cool amount of cash. Sunday, I get a desperate text message indicating that he has run out of funds (48 hours). I didn't have the opportunity to log onto the internet until this morning (Thursday) only to find out that he is now $250 overdrawn on his account! The kid has blown through over $500 in less than a week! Unbelieveable!

So as I view these impoverished people down here in Mexico and compare them to my out-of-control, spoiled brat teenager, I am sick to my stomach. It would definitely do my boy some good to be thrown into this culture and learn to fend for himself. What are we doing to our kids? Are we so out of touch that this is what they have come to? It sure does leave one to think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DO tell. I want details! What in the world did Brian spend all that money on? And - how did he think he would get away with it? I wouldn't mess with you Jodi!