Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Simple Life

Last night my husband came home after an "all day" visit with our financial planner. He grabbed my shoulders, looked me in the eye with all the seriousness he could muster, and said, "Honey, I have a new word for you to learn. It's a new word and it's going to be a difficult task for you to wrap your head around this new concept. You are a smart woman and I trust that you will be able to handle this incredible feat."

I looked at him skeptically and said, "Okay, give it to me. I can take it. What's up?"

He said, "Your word for this next year (or lifetime) is . . ." and then he backed away slightly to ensure that he was out of slapping range, then quietly added, "BUDGET!"

I gasped. What?!?!? I don't understand. (Of course I wouldn't understand. I've never HAD to understand, thankfully.) So, it was at that moment that I asked for clarification. What do you mean?

My sweet husband gently attempted to explain that I would have to be accountable for ALL expenses that I incurred. Wow. Not only that, we would be going through our expenditures for the last year and decipher what we can cut out and live without (I don't know about you, but I NEED everything, yes, everything I buy and spend money on).

So promptly in my head I started rolling through all the stuff I spend money on and decided that spending money was hard work! I started to realize how much more simple my life is going to be without the pressure to spend all that money! I'm kind of excited. We are going to use the food storage (that sure cuts down on the grocery bill and time spent in the grocery store), minimize the kids' activities (that would be, like, they might be home more?? Can't decide how I feel about this one), reduce the meals we eat out as a couple dating (um, yeah, I'm down with this - it might actually get my husband to be creative about our dates), and generally refrain from unnecessary and excessive frivolous expenditures (whatever THAT means - like no more random Target runs??). One thing I absolutely REFUSE to give up, though, is my yoga. Thankfully, that one got glossed over so far.

Okay, this is not sounding so bad. I actually am excited for the challenge that Mr. Weltz has extended to me and, yes, I will be victorious! I will show him. I am a going to be the budgeting fool.

So, girls, I can't go to lunch much of anymore nor can I go shopping. What I can do is go on a hike, horseback ride or hang out at your house. Oh, and yeah, I can zone your feet! That costs $40 to you and it is positive affect on my budgeting efforts!

No comments: