Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Party On!

It's funny how the things in life we seem to dread often turn out to be really enjoyable. Now, I'm sure there are things we dread in life where there is just no way they will turn out to be a good deal regardless of how you view them such as going to the gynocologist, dentist or disciplining a teenager. Today was one of those days where we had the twins' birthday party scheduled at the roller skating rink. I was dreading it. I hate all the chaos that goes along with kid's parties and just feel like I'm being drug to the gallows when I have to go. No exceptions.

So it is times like this where I'm looking back on the event and realize that, yes, I actually had a decent time. I was able to visit with my friend, Meredith, quite a bit. I even held her baby, Elsa, pretty much the whole time. Anyone who knows me knows how I SO don't do babies. This baby is special, for some reason. I really like this little girl. Of course, while I was holding her baby, Meredith was the party mom. She was in there giving directions to the children and snapping photos. It was great.

There was also another mom that I got to visit with that turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I visited with Noah's mom, Jen. She, too, has a child in the SDC with Jacob. We chatted about the challenges of having a special needs child and she mentioned that is wonderful to interact with someone else who is fighting the same battle. I agreed.

Often people just don't get it. They have "pity" for those of us with special needs children. Yes, we do have challenges that people with mainstream children don't. However, I don't feel sorry for myself. Actually, I consider myself richly blessed. Jacob is a loving boy who is genuinely grateful to belong to a family and be able to do the many things we do. He is perfectly content to entertain himself while other children are off running around and requiring a lot of attention. Jacob is loving and very kind to others. He genuinely cares about the well being of other people. There just are not enough people like that in the world.

So, going to this party turned out to be a wonderful experience. I had a lot of fun interacting with these two women. Meredith just enjoys getting out and having a life outside of taking care of her 6 month old twins. She was excited when I suggested that we have a party for her older twins up at our place in two weeks.

Yeah, so guess what? I'm actually doing another twin birthday party in two weeks at my place! Go figure.

No comments: