Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

If You Love 'em, Tell 'em

I flew out to help Brandilyn and Dave move to their new apartment. It was actually more of an excuse to see my gorgeous daughter and her awesome husband than anything else. Turns out that I think I was actually useful - something all of us parents need to feel in order to keep ourselves going, I guess.

What impressed me, amongst lots of other things about Dave and Brandilyn, was how many little love notes there were just randomly lying around their apartment to each other. I didn't really read them because, frankly, it is just none of my business. I strive to stay out of their marriage because I don't belong there. But I couldn't help but notice the thoughtfulness, nonetheless.

It definitely makes me want to go home and look for ways to be more thoughtful for the ones that live with me. Like maybe just listen more and take time to leave notes on napkins in their lunches or, I don't know, just say "I love you" more and mean it?

I am grateful to Brandilyn and Dave for this little reminder and I hope that they will always strive to keep their love alive and well. I am also grateful for Terri and all that she was able to share and give to me while she was still walking through this mortal experience. I have beautiful examples to follow.

Many years ago my dearest friend, Terri Watterson, gave a homemaking lesson on random acts of kindness to the ones we love. It was entitled, "If you love 'em, tell 'em." She shared with us that we should do just as my daughter and her hubby do. Just take a minute and do little nice things for each other.

No comments: