Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

The Call of the Hills

There is nothing in this world that is quite as magical as viewing the world between the ears of a horse. I was riding my horse out in the park yesteday morning before church. Ellie is a "silly" paint mare that we have. I enjoy riding her but she does require a little attention while out since she appears to have ADHD (sound familiar?)

Since I just got home from 3 very intense days of lecture and testing on Footzoning, I was defintely lost in thought. I was making sure that I could call up all the information that I had received over the last bit. My mind was working overtime.

Out of nowhere, I heard another human voice, a male, who said "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude on your space." I was startled and jumped at the sound of his voice. He was a runner out for an early morning run. I smiled at him and he commented on how nice it is to be out here alone in the hills with a lots of solitude. I couldn't have agreed more. How nice of him to apologize for intruding on my space. How awesome that he would even recognize that I was there to be "alone" with my horse, dog and thoughts.

I ended up taking a trail that my daughter, Brandilyn, would be happy if she never saw again for the rest of her life. It is called the Manzanita Trail and it is my favorite of all the trails in the park. It goes straight down for quite a ways and runs along a creek for a bit before it takes off and heads straight back up again. My horse was full of spirit and seemed up for the challenge.

I often vascilate as to whether or not it is appropriate for me to be out riding my horse early on a Sunday morning. My argument for the affirmative would be that I am able to meditate and appreciate this beautiful world that Heavenly Father has created for us. I am also able to focus on the things that I am so grateful for. It is so easy when it is spread out in front of me in a way such as this.

I look forward to Brandilyn and Dave coming here for a visit. Dave is, hands down, my favorite trail riding partner. He loves the adventure and hears the call of the hills just as I do. I am hoping that Dave has been studying his map for a new adventure for us to go on. We got in a lot of trouble from Skip and Brandilyn last time we went but we promise to be a little more responsible this next time. Maybe they will go with us???

So, until next Sunday, I will have the memories of this ride and the anticipation of another trail riding adventure to keep me alive. After all, there are few things in this world that make me feel as "alive" as when I am bonding with these magestic creatures that we call horses.

No comments: