Pages

Friday, October 3, 2008

Brian


Out of ALL the Christmas pictures my family has taken over the years, this one is my absolute favorite. Of course, I can say that today, 4-1/2 years after the fact.
You see, every year we gather on a Family Home Evening night to take our annual Christmas picture. Everyone in the family but Brandilyn and I hated the ritual. The kids will tell you that Skip and I AWAYS got into an argument. Skip didn't like being directed and Brandilyn and I were the directors of this particular production.
This particular year, for whatever reason, I chose to shoot the entire photo session on film rather than my usual digital. I would set the camera up on the tripod and run back in and join my family for the shot. I then took the film down to Target for processing and imagine my surprise when I viewed ALL the photos and discovered that we had one uncooperative member of our family. Yes, that would be my Brian. What? Brian wasn't enjoying the events of this evening???
Brian has always been, how should I put this gently, my more challenging child. Anyone remotely close to my family will testify of the challenges we have had with Brian throughout the years. I can honestly say that until about six months ago, this would definitely NOT have been my favorite family photo. Things have dramatically changed, however. Brian has become the most cooperative member of my family. He arises early (on his own) every morning for seminary, attends ALL his classes at school and is on the honor roll, of all things. When he asks to do something and the answer is "no", he takes in stride and even says, "well, thanks for thinking about it, at least." I would never have dreamed that this day would come. Yes, there are a few things that we are struggling with Brian on (i.e. a mission) but I know that with the changes that have taken place thus far, Brian will make the right choices for his future.
So, we see, that Heavenly Father does have a perfect plan for all of us. I guess we all needed to go through the difficult times to enjoy the good times, right? Well, let ME think that way, at least. I think having a big sister all married in the temple and living on her own with an awesome brother-in-law has helped the situation a lot. Then there is the good choices in friends that he has made. What about the fact that he is about to be 18 years old in just 1-1/2 months. Incredible! Whatever it is, I am grateful for the peace that has settled on my home. I love you, Brian, with all my heart and soul.

No comments: