Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Madie's Visit

Madisen (Madie) came out to visit us for her fall break from school in Utah. I worried that she would be bored at out home and that there would be a shortage of things to do. Wrong!!! The first night she was there, the boys took her out to the movies (on a school night, no less). I guess they had the best time. To me, at first, she appeared a little quiet which I, naturally, took to mean that she wasn't having the best experience.
On Friday while she was here, her and I took Bart up into the city and went shopping (cuz that's what girls are supposed to do - it's our job and our right as women, right?). Wow, that was fun! I don't know which was better - people watching or shopping. At any rate, we got really silly in one store and started trying on hats, sunglasses, dresses and all kinds of funky stuff. We were actually contemplating on buying the same outfit and wearing it to the party we were going to on Saturday. Fortunately for Aunt Diane, we opted to not go that route.
Anyway, what I found so cool about Madisen is that she is the
blackest white girl I have ever known! She is adopted by white
parents and lives in a predominately white community. I think there are only like two black kids at her school. But living out here in the Bay Area where it is such a diverse mix of culture and color, I expected a black girl to act like a black girl. Complete with the accent and attitude. Not Madie! She actually made the comment, "It is so wierd seeing so many black people out here." We asked if she thought it was cool and she said, "No, not really, just wierd."
So, it goes to show you - you can NEVER judge a book by it's cover and things are never as they appear. We will always be gratefuly for her visit and cherish the fun memories that we got to make together!!!

No comments: