Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Thrill of the Hunt

I came home this afternoon from picking up the kids from school. There was a note on the kitchen counter that read, "Mom, Me and Ellie went for a ride at the park." That would be Brian that authored that little dittie. I was both surprised and happy. Surprised that Brian would take the initiative to go out and ride his mare and happy that both of them were out getting some exercise. Both of them needed it.

Skip, the twins and Robbie left early to go to the church for an activity tonight so that left me home alone. Brian arrived back from his ride shortly thereafter while I was out feeding the animals. When I got back up to the house and had settled down on the computer for some "down time", Brian came into my office and announced that he had lost his wallet out on the trail. It was now about 6:00 in the evening.

I jumped into action without taking any thought to what the time was. I threw on my boots and hurried down to grab my horse, Mosca, and tack him up. Brian was right behind me with Zoe. I never threw a horse together so fast in my life. I left the barn at a gallop and headed for the park. I waited there for Brian who was just a few beats behind me (Zoe is fat, old and extremely out of shape - Mosca is young and pretty athletic).

At the park we made a game plan. Since he had ridden on the Manzanita trail, which is a very steep loop trail, we decided to split up and go different directions. With the younger horse I would be able to cover more trail in a shorter period of time. David Haynes, you would have paid big bucks for this opportunity!!! I galloped pretty much most of the trail and was able to find the fated wallet at the bottom of the Manzanita trail (of course). I then finished the trail and never intersected Brian. I was beginning to wonder if a) something had happened bad to him and/or Zoe or b) he had gone a different way. Either one wasn't a good sign.

I went for a little bit further then decided to turn around and go back out to see if I could find Brian. I went all the way back to the Manzanita Trail and saw the top of his white hat as he was heading back down. I called for him and he turned around (lucky for Zoe). He walked up to me and I asked if he had found his wallet. His face fell as he realized that I didn't have it (I couldn't resist). I then let a large grin envelope my face as I produced the wallet. He was elated and I told him I thought he was the luckiest son-of-a-gun alive.

We headed back slowly as Zoe was exhausted (Dave, you can relate to this, right?). We were able to observe and enjoy the beautiful full moon on the dark crisp night. We ambled slowly back and arrived back at our place about 7:30. We were both in great spirits.

There is nothing like the "the thrill of the hunt" - especially when you get to do it on the back of a horse. Thank you, Brian, for another wonderful adventure for me to blog about. It was one of the funnest nights I have had in a long time. I will never forget these wonderful times. I love you, buddy, and am grateful that prayers always get answered - sometimes the way we really want them to, to boot!

No comments: