Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

The Rain

The rains have come. It all started yesterday. First a few little sprinkles here and there and then, wham! It hit. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and thought something was wrong because I heard water running. After laying there a little while to muster up the energy to go investigate the problem, I concluded that it was the rain.

So, for me, rain means that I have to get up in the dark and cold, get dressed, shuffle out to the garage and get into my boots, don my jacket and head out into the rain and wind to feed my babies. My babies would all be equines for anyone who isn't aware of what makes me tick (duh). In the evening, it's the same story except I'm not quite so sleepy - just annoyed because I have to still cook dinner (which I so hate doing).

The rain also means something else (heh-heh). It means those evening when my lover and I give each other "that look" and sneak off into the hot tub outside of our bathroom on the deck. We sit out there, discuss mundane topics and allow the rain to drench our faces and the wind to whip our hair. We don't care because we are alone together and the warm water keeps our bodies from noticing the elements around us.

It also means that we lie in bed later and are allowed to listen to a love song being tapped out on our roof above our heads. My lover always knows what the rain does to me and he is eager to get the events of the evening under way. We hustle to get the kids to bed - reminding them of how "tired" they are and quickly scamper back to our end of the house and make the preparations for bedtime. Oh yes, these are my favorite evenings of all. All snuggled in by the one I love. It surely doesn't get much better than this!!!

So, now that it is time to go out and feed my horses, I head to the garage to don my gear. I always make the appropriate grumbles and groans so that my family "thinks" I am put out and performing a task that is sooooo undesirable. Secretly, I have a twinkle in my eye and a smirk fighting its way to my face because tonight . . .

No comments: