Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Linger

Several months ago I attended a yoga class (ok, well, I attend a yoga class a lot of days but that's not the point here) and the instructor informed us that her theme of the day was to "linger". She told us that she was going to have us linger in our poses a little longer (not what you want to hear at the beginning of class, I tell you) and that she wanted us to find places in our life that we could just linger a little longer.

I took it to heart and started finding ways to "linger". I tried to linger over breakfast. I lingered at the barn - now that was a fun one for me. Cleaning my saddles and other tack, brushing my horse just a little longer and spending some time watering and caring for my plants. I enjoyed that a lot. I even lingered in the laundry room - who would've thought that? But, hey, you can linger anywhere!

So, this morning, the clock was turned back an hour - well, it was SUPPOSED to be turned back an hour. I had a feeling that my husband had forgotten to do that little task last night when he went to bed and I was right. Anyway, waking up to the light and knowing that I didn't HAVE to get with the program was a beautiful thing. I was able to linger in bed. And linger I did for quite an embarrasing amount of time. Finally, I could feel the energy coming from the paddocks and drug myself up to go feed my babies.

I then lingered over my computer and then lingered over breakfast then lingered in the shower and lingered so much that I was ALMOST late for church. The kids were like, "Hey Mom! We gotta get going. Should we just wait for you in the car?" I was yelling back, "I'm in the shower. It might take a few minutes!"

So then I got to church and slipped into my pew. After I was sure that everything was in order, I pulled out my journal and began to write. I was enjoying it so much that, well, you know what I did? Yup! I decided to linger during my entry. I lingered right on into the opening remarks, opening song and then it was time for opening prayer. Do you know what I did? Nope. You're wrong. I put down my journal until I heard "Amen" and then I picked it up again. I know, I know. Bad me but I couldn't resist.

I came home from church and made a pact with myself. I would be reasonable with my lingering. But, now that I have discovered this wonderful thing is that possible? Like giving up Diet Coke and all the other evils is that really possible? So, I did what every girl that loves to linger would do. I went to my computer and, yes I admit it, I lingered there until I could hear my husband coming in the door announcing that he had the missionaries with him to have dinner with us. Whoops! Somehow, I managed to pull that dinner off only to find myself lingering later at the computer posting my blog, playing on Facebook, checking out my eBay action and IMing my daughter, friend in Arizona and my son's girlfriend in Utah.

I gotta tell you - I LOVE this lingering thing! It's working out pretty well for me. But as for my family . . .

No comments: