Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Baby Nut Not

I have often worried about the fact that I simply don't like little children. When Shauna Leigh had Allie I thought she was cute enough but really had no desire to "hold" her (although I did) or bond with her. I was a little worried about my reaction to the child of someone that I was so close to. Then we have Ava Grace. I was sure that it would be different but, alas, it wasn't. Skip bonded with Ava and now Ava worships the ground he walks on. She calls him "Poppa" and it's so dog gone cute but she doesn't really give two hoots about me - my fault.

Okay, so last night Sarah came over for dinner and brought Ava. She is about 1-1/2 now and is walking and talking up a storm. I was riding Zoe in the arena when she pulled up and I asked if Ava could ride with me. Sarah let her and it was so awesome to watch Ava go from being scared and crying to actually talking and interacting with me. We rode up the hill to see Poppa and she was excited to show Grandpa how she was riding the horsey.

The same thing with Allie. When I visited Shauna Leigh about a month ago, I was able to interact and enjoy Allie. She played with me and actually wanted me to read to her. It meant a lot.

I guess the deal is that I don't care for babies at all. I don't want to be this way and, now that I look back, I think I was a little bit that way with my own (oh my, is this what the problem with them is?). Is that okay to admit that I'm not a baby nut? I see all these other grandmas cooing and fussing over the babies and I'm just kind of keeping my distance and smiling politely to the mom.

Bottom line - please be patient with me. I will be your teenager's best friend. I will be the fun grandma (Granny Jo) once they are out of diapers. Until then, take good care of them for me, please.

Okay, now that Ava Grace and Allie are starting to get fun (that would be in my opinion, of course) I need to put on my play clothes and get ready to have some real Grandma Fun! Bring it on, girls!!!!

3 comments:

Josh, Shauna, Allison, Brynlee said...

You make me laugh Jode, just because I am exactly the opposite. I LOVE the newborn stage and wish I could pause time so Brynlee won't grow up and she will stay ity bity longer and I can still enjoy Alli as she growns up and learns new things. She would love to have you around though, she wants to be outdoors and running and playing soooooo much, and I just can't do it now. Hopefully she will be able to play with you soon! Love you!
P.S. Even though you aren't nuts about babies I don't think you will ever know how much you are appreciated for all you did for us when Alli was born. We were so blessed to have you here!

brandilyn said...

uh oh--we're in trouble when i have kids. i don't like babies, you don't like babies..who the crap is going to take care of mine???

hopefully dave likes them lol. or we can toss em' at shauna until they're 2 or 3 or something.

Josh, Shauna, Allison, Brynlee said...

I'll take them!!! I love the newborn stage! I just cant promise i'll give them back!