Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Mission? Who needs a mission?

Therein is the dilema that I seem to be faced with right now. My son is being influenced by outside forces and has decided that going on a mission will ruin his dreams of becoming an underwater welder. So, now as I pray about what to do I am prompted to be obedient and read MY scriptures, say MY prayers, attend the temple regularly, follow the commandments and hold FHE. Easier said than done. However, that is the challenge and I am ready to rise to it. Anything for my children.

Funny thing is that in stake conference this weekend, that is exactly what President Alexander counseled all of us to do. He said that if there was anything that was preventing our family from doing scripture study, family prayer and FHE then we needed to reevaluate those activities - there are plenty of good things but then there are better things we could and should be doing. In addition, we were also informed that we should be doing our personal prayer and scripture study. I felt that this was an answer to my prayer.

3 comments:

brandilyn said...

we had a devotional up here at byui last semester (or maybe it was 2 ago..doesn't really matter) that talked about "good-better-best." the basic idea was that, for example, it's GOOD to be doing an extracurricular activity on a monday night, it's BETTER to be having family dinner, and it's BEST to be having FHE. sometimes dave and i think about it in terms of like our date night; it's good to be getting home/housework done, it's better to go out and spend time together, and it's best to do a session at the temple. kind of cheesy but maybe it applies. good luck ofum..love you :)

brandilyn said...

oh, i forgot to tell you the little rhyme that went with the devo:
"good, better, best-
never let it rest
until your good is better
and your better is best"
hahaha such a typical BYU-I thing to say.

Jode said...

Thanks, Princess. I'm struggling right now with so much. I'm thinking a session is EXACTLY what I need. Please pray for your brother. He's gonna need it - especially if I do accept the call to be his SS teacher.