Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Grandma's Got it Goin' On!

I love this picture. Why? I will tell you.

I grew up in a home where we had no extended family. My dad (who didn't live with us) was an only child and my mother, who was born and raised in England had no family around except her brother who we didn't really interact with until I was well into my high school years. There were no grandparents, uncles, aunts or cousins in my upbringing.

Last year, Skip's whole family, with the exception of Taylor in Curt's family and Keith's whole family, were able to go on a Mexico cruise together. On one particular day, we all went out on an excursion while Skip's dad stayed on the ship with Courtney and Jacob. We went on a tour of the city of Mazatlan (I think that was where it was) and spent the whole day out and about. We saw a whole different side of Grandma. She was funny and really seemed to be trying to "kick it" with all of us - kids and grandkids. She had us all laughing.

I have never known that kind of family bonding before in my life. I loved it. Anyway, we took this picture overlooking the city at the beginning of our day and it will always serve as a sweet reminder of the kind of grandma I want to be - fun, loving, and not afraid to show my true colors!

No comments: