Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Way We Were!

25 years ago I married this cute guy.  We had been dating for a couple of years and decided to make the deal "official".  We had a pre-determined date that we had decided to do this deed.

After work on Friday, we headed for Tahoe to get married.  On our way out of town Skip called his parents and let them know that they were about to score another daughter-in-law.  Hopefully, (kidding) they were happy for their son.

When we arrived to our motel room, there was a gorgeous basket of fruit sent from them to us.  Our room had a fireplace in it and we felt like we were pretty much "big stuff."

Saturday morning we got up and headed over to some chapel there and Reverend Love married us.  His wife was our photographer.  Basically (no digital cameras "back then") she took a roll of film and opened the camera and handed it to us.  We still laugh about that.

We spent the day doing gambling (that's funny because neither of us are big into that form of entertainment) and headed back home the next day.  On our way back into town, I called my parents and informed them that I was now no longer living in "sin."  We both showed up for work Monday morning (we worked for the same company.)

Ron, one of the other managers at the company, was an early bird at work like we were.  He came into my office to get some files and casually said, "so, how was your weekend?"  I just as casually said, "oh, it was fine.  I got married."  He quickly slammed the file drawer shut and turned around.  "What?  To Skip?"  I laughed and said, "Well, of course to Skip.  Who else would I marry?"

Ron quickly left my office and high tailed it for Skip's office saying, "I need to go congratulate the big guy!"

So there is the story of how it all began (well, from our wedding date).  We've had a lot of things happen in the 25 years since we said "I do."  Like all couples, we both have ended up in a place that we never planned on being.  Skip always had a life plan and was hell bent for election on following that plan.  Jody. . . well . . .true to nature, has no plan and just goes where the wind takes her.  Sadly for Skip, the plan has deviated off course something fierce.

Hopefully the future years bring us back around to your charted course, babe.  Happy anniversary!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Congratulations!!!! Happy 25 :)