Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Journey

I have ALWAYS said that I hate cooking. I have always said that I'm not a good cook and that I only just barely prepare what I absolutely have to to get by and to appease the immediate consumers (my family, usually). Cooking has always been a "chore" for me. It's funny because I actually LOVE doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen but, PLEASE, someone else prepare the dang food!

So when Brandilyn told me that her doula said that maybe she should assign the chore of preparing meals for them, while they are busy having a baby and adjusting to the new lifestyle of parenthood, to me I was a little bit . . . how should I say this . . . anxious. What if David doesn't like the food I prepare because I suck at cooking? (Btw, David informed me that if he doesn't like what I cook then he just won't eat it - I like that kind of straight forwardness). What if I lapse into my "lazy" mode and just want to order pizza all week (well, we DID indulge in that decadence not once but TWICE!)?

As it turns out, Sunshine happened to launch into her "can do" mode and rose to the occasion. I have to say that I'm quite impressed with myself. Not only did I turn out good grub, I actually enjoyed the process. While the little family was still in the hospital I came home to their apartment and turned on my music (which only I enjoy) and busied myself in the kitchen. Chopping, sauteing, baking, and totally having the time of my life. Then I packed up said meal and delivered it to them in the hospital. I must say it even topped the amazing hospital food that Brandilyn was receiving (haha).

This morning, I'm sitting here in my hotel room putting together tonight's menu and planning on making another meal to put up in the freezer for them. I'm happy and just excited to get back into Brandilyn's kitchen.

So . . . what is this? Why the sudden change of heart? I think I figured it out. I think that it's a treat to prepare food that I like (healthy vegan fare) and eat for people that enjoy and eat it as well. PLUS, I have nothing but time on my hands to enjoy the journey because, after all, isn't that what the secret to life is? Enjoying the journey?

Now, I just need to figure out how to create that kind of magic when I get home. Hmmm.

No comments: