Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

You Were a What?

Yesterday I posted the following on my Twitter:

"Not much beats going up into the attic in search of something and discovering something else that reminded me of an event I'd rather forget."

Danielle came home yesterday and asked, "What the flip did THAT mean?"

Well . . .sit back and I'll spin you another fabulous Sunshine tale, lol.

About 652 years ago (actually about 7 years ago) Courtney came home from school waving a piece of paper in my face. It was a call for girls to sign up for soccer for the upcoming season. "Can I do it? Please, Mom, can I play soccer? I so want to play soccer SO bad!"

Me, being the stern no-nonsense (yeah, right) mom, says, "Sure, sweetie. We'll get you signed up right away." And I did.

Then we waited. Got the email saying what team she was going to be on and everything. We went out and bought her all the gear she would need. She was SO dog gone excited. The next email was something to this effect:

"To all parents. We do not currently have a coach for your daughter's soccer team. We are requesting that a parent from the team volunteer for this position. We will provide training. If nobody volunteers we will not be able to provide soccer for your daughter this season."

Wow, Court, looks like you aren't going to be able to do soccer this year. That sucks! Big pouty face and tears followed. "I really really really wanted to do it. I was SO excited."

Guess who stepped up to the plate? Yep. So I spent two weekends in soccer coach training. I learned about exercises, drills, child abuse detection and reporting, rules of the game and everything you needed to know but were afraid to find out about coaching a kids soccer team. Then, on our last day of training, we went out to the field and had to play against each other. Holy crap! These parents (all but two of us were men) were freaking brutal! I was one whipped pup and I was a pretty athletic person, at that time!

Soccer season came and another mom stepped up to be my assistant coach (bless that angel). The girls bonded and had fun but our team sucked. Oh well. What really got to me was a couple of the dads from our team got in my business about why I would put this girl in this position or that girl over there or why I would cue the girls to do this or that. Really? Dude, if you wanted to have so dang much input in how our team played the game, then why the heck didn't you step up to the plate when they were screaming for a coach? Wow.

I was happy when the season ended and vowed to ALWAYS keep my head low in the future when a volunteer was requested for this or that. I've stayed pretty true to myself, thank you very much. So, what did I find in the attic yesterday? My binder with all the information for that season. Yep, it went right in the round file. Good bye to that memory.

No comments: