Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Sting then Humor!

It's here! It's here! The day we've waited for for nine months is almost here. I'm heading out to Idaho as soon as I drop Courtney off for school this morning and I couldn't be more excited. I'm excited to see Brandilyn. I'm excited to see my new grandson. And, yes, I'm excited to see Dave too, lol.

Yesterday it took me like freaking FOREVER to get motivated to pack. Not because I didn't want to go but I just hate packing. I had bills to pay and stuff to pack and things to organize so that the compound can run smoothly while I'm gone. I even spent like an entire evening into late night organizing my iTunes so that I would have jamming tunes to listen to. I was going to make cookies (the ones that Skip loves) for Brandilyn and Dave (because they are Dave friendly and taste AMAZING) but I just ran out of mojo. Skip suggested that I make them for them while I'm there. Good idea.

So . . . funny story (to me now that I'm over being pissed). I'm taking the rocking chair to the princess that I used for her when she was a baby. She asked for it and it's hers. Skip, being Skip, was dictating how I should transport said piece of furniture. He told me to make sure the seats in the back of my truck were folded up and then slide the chair in there. I, in my head, knew there was no freaking way it would fit but nodded and said, "ok" to him so that he knew I was validating his position on being large and in charge.

Sure enough, yesterday came and it was time for me to load up the truck. I couldn't even get the chair through my bedroom door without having to open the second door so I KNEW that I was right. Sure enough, not even close. So, I did what I do. I grabbed a container of bungee cords, a blanket and the twins and went to work securing the chair in the back of my truck. After a bit of frustration, I was pretty happy with my handiwork.

Skip calls last night and we were having a convo. He then asked if I was able to load the chair inside the truck. Um . . . no. I then went on to say that I secured it in the back of the truck with bungee cords and a blanket. He then said, "go out and take a picture so I can see what you did." I got pissed and said, "I'm NOT going to go take a picture. I just TOLD you what I did." He replied, "You just said you threw the chair in the back of the truck on its side. I want to make sure it's not going to get ruined. It's a nice piece of furniture."

In my frustration I yelled back, "You NEVER listen to me! I said I secured it and it's fine!!"

Anyway, it went downhill from there. The point is this: We often paint a picture in our head of what we "perceive" the person to be saying on any given subject and then shut out all other stimuli. Case and point. He, for whatever reason, envisioned me just tossing the chair in the back of the truck and calling it good. Maybe I have or maybe I haven't done something like that in the past (I'm not coming clean at this point).

So this morning, Danielle comes out with a big smile on her face like she's bursting to tell me something funny. She then says, "I was going to play a funny joke on you but then I thought you might get hella pissed. I was going to tell you that Dad called me last night and told me to go out to your truck and take a picture of how you tied the rocking chair in."

Hahaha!!! I love that I get over stuff so quickly. I also love that my family loves to have fun with stories that are funny after the sting has worn away.

Anyway, I'm gonna post this, take my (much needed) shower, load the last of my gear, drop off Courtney for school, hit the Bucks for one of my last buzz treats for a while and head east to meet my grandson. Pretty exciting day! :)

No comments: