Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Enchanted Trailer

It seems that lately the challenge has been getting my sister's horse, Cowboy, loaded in the trailer. I decided that my beloved Ellie was just too witchy for drill practice. Oh, I still plan on using the little vixen for performances because she comes alive and wants everyone to notice that she is the princess of the show! Lol. She really does "turn on" when there is an audience and an energy. Anyway, back to Cowboy. So, he's five years old, very green broke and has been pretty much sitting in the pasture for the last couple of years. Between my broken ankle (now all healed) and various other elements that define my life, I just haven't gotten around to working with the guy.

If Cowboy were a human he would definitely be a "stoner". He just has that silly glazed over look about him. I have to laugh when I see him because he's so doofy that it just fits.

So, I kind of had a hunch that loading him "might" be a challenge so I enlisted the aid of my trusty assistants (the twins). Yeah, what the flip was I thinking? This has become quite a project for the three of us. It does, however, have a very happy ending with a castle, a prince and a magical life.

The first time I approached the trailer Cowboy (dum-de-dum-de-dum) kind of walked up like no big deal. In my head I was "YES! YES! YES!" But, alas, it was not to be. As soon as we got to the place to step up he was like, "Woah, Nellie! I don't freaking think so!" and he threw a hissy fit. A MASSIVE hissy fit. Rearing and pulling back and all kinds of crazy tantrum like behavior. After a few more attempts we decided to try other tactics. We had ropes pulled around bars for leverage and all kinds of stuff going on (because in he was going to go and there wasn't much to discuss about that issue).

Finally I had Jacob go up in the front section where Horse #1 would go (safely behind the barrier that separates the horses, fyi) and try tempting him with food (works for most stoners, I hear). I was on the halter pulling him in and Courtney was behind him with her "props" (a lunging whip and a poop fork) for reinforcement. After a lot of coaxing and flailing (on his part) he reluctantly leaped into the trailer. I yelled, "Court, get the door! Quick!"

She closed the door and I hooked up the horse and yelled for her to open the door to let me out. Whew! We made it. I turned to Courtney and said, "Good job, girl! That was awesome! We got that boy in! Now, let's get going before I'm late for drill practice."

Courtney (in her funny Courtney humor) says, "Um, that's great, Mom, except for one small thing."

"What?"

"Jacob is still in the trailer with Cowboy."

Holy crap! Right then Jacob squeals, "Hahaha. Mom! Did you really forget me? I can just ride in here. I don't mind." (Yeah, I bet you don't you little stinker!)

So, we slowly had to open the door and sneak Jacob out around and under that horse that still hadn't figured what the flip had just happened to him. It all ended well.

It's been three days since that series of unfortunate events. We have loaded Cowboy in the trailer every day since and have endured an enormous struggle each time (some of it actually very scary). I finally enlisted the advice of my trainer and she gave us some hints that worked great. I reinforced the situation by stopping at the feed store and buying some yum-yum candy treats.

Yesterday, he finally loaded six times without incident. After we were through and I had ridden him I took off his halter and proceeded to do some barn chores before we headed in to prepare our dinner. When all was finished, I looked around and inquired as to where the horse was. I noticed that Courtney had left the back door of the trailer open so went to close it. You'll never guess what, or I should say who I found standing in the trailer all by himself.

You go it . . . Mr. Stoner (the prince) himself cleaning up the tiny morsels that were left behind by our great adventure (inside the castle). And we all lived happily ever after The End.

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

hahahaha!!! i love that!