Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Country Mouse

I grew up in the country setting. I lived a lot of my adult life in the city world but 14 years ago Skip and I decided to move to where we are now - out in the hills on 26 acres. I love love LOVE it there!

Well, as I have mentioned before, Skip's job has taken him to LA. He lives in a really nice apartment all by himself (jealousy inserted here). I get to go down and visit him once a month for the weekend. This is my weekend here (I'm only blogging cuz my hot man is getting himself ready for the day and I tend to be able to manage that chore a whole lot faster than he). Last night as I was laying in bed I was thinking about what is it that makes me want to be such a country mouse . . .

- Noise - here (in LA) the noise is people sitting on their deck outside drinking a talking loudly, planes flying over head and cars moving to and fro. At home the noise is the occasionally coyote in the distant hills, my horses snorting as they are eating their grass and my neighbor's wolves howling intermittedly - all sounds that I love.
- People - here there are people pushing and rushing everywhere. At home I seldom see any of my neighbors. The only peeps I really interact with are my family unless I go to town (which is WAY too much for my liking).
- Landscape - yesterday as my plane was circling over LA to land I was looking at the landscape (or lack thereof). I couldn't help but think that 200 years ago I bet this terrain was absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Now, it's just a wall of houses, asphalt and concrete sprinkled with the occasional golf course. At home, right now the hills are beautiful green and lush. Of course, in about a month they will be golden brown and there will be a whole new vibe there.
- Stress. Here (even though I'm not in my element and there is no stress for me, per say) there is a lot of stressful energy. I can feel it everywhere I go. People pushing and shoving and in a hurry. At home . . . well, uh . . . . yea there is hella stress but it is my own individual stress that I'm feeling - not necessarily other's.

So my conclusion? I'm jealous of the fact that Skip gets to live alone and that nobody and I mean NOBODY messes with his stuff. I haven't been alone in 26 years and I crave it something fierce. However, I would like to live alone up in the hills on my ranch if I had my drothers. This country mouse likes to be away from others and have the option to venture out on my own terms to interact with all the other mouses.

No comments: