Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Bike's Crash

I loaded up my two bikes (my mountain bike and my road bike) on the bike ride and headed to town for our activity with my Activity Day Girls. My partner, Joy, doesn't own a bike so I loaned her my mountain bike. We had a fabulous ride, just for the record. We rode around for a bit then went to 7-eleven with the girls (and Holden Tanner and Jacob) and got the kids slurpees.

I loaded the bikes back up on my car and headed home. The twins and I got out at the shop to unload all the bikes (we had THEIR bikes in the bed of my truck) and, alas, my bikes AND the rack were gone. Like, someone must have pulled up behind me at a stop light, unhooked my bike rack WITH my bikes on it and taken the whole lot. I was sure of it!

Okay, the logical side of my brain figured out what happened right off. I was a wee bit negligent when I mounted my rack on the truck and didn't stick the pin through the rack. So that would mean . . . HOLY CRAP! My bikes fell off somewhere. We hit the road at record speed and started zipping down the hill. Yeah, we found my bikes, all right. In a ditch still attached to the rack. Sad day for me :(

Got home and discovered that both bikes were in bad shape and would need a visit to the bike hospital. Turns out the mountain bike (which I was sure was in worst shape) fared quite a bit better. He was released as an outpatient and Robbie took off on him and headed to Royster's at record speed before anyone knew what was happening. My road bike . . .well . . .he's checked in for a bit. Looks like surgery hasn't been ruled out. This is gonna hurt. Ouch!

Lesson learned? Haste makes waste. Cliche, I know.

2 comments:

Jillian Kristine said...

HA! i very much so recall on occation in which you left your cell phone on your rear bumper, and miraculously, it stayed there until we noticed it was missing, called it, heard it, and eventually located its specific location. oh dear. you were so lucky IT hadn't fallen off. i mean, whats a girl sposed to do without her CEEELLLL PHOOONNNNEE???

Jillian Kristine said...

correction: occasion