Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Special" Ham Loaf

Bahahaha! I was just reading Brandilyn's blog ("princess" on the side tab of my blog) and read about her snafu with dinner the other night. She DID text me but it made me laugh just reading it again. She put 2 Tablespoons of red crushed pepper in some lettuce wraps she was making and they were over the top hot. When she looked at the recipe she realized that the recipe actually called for red BELL pepper. Alas, it was a live and learn moment. She then invited anyone else to talk about any similar experiences. (I think she just wanted to feel better about herself).

Well. . . in a little (big) house in the middle of town. Lol. I'll just get on with it. We bought the Weltz Family Reunion cookbook about 6 million years ago when all the extended members of the Weltz clan were invited to contribute recipes. At that particular time in my life I was a ham eater (gross, except I DID indulge this holiday when Danielle made a huge awesome one for Christmas then asked me to make bean soup with the leftovers). There was a recipe in the book for Ham Loaf. You take the ham and put it through a meat grinder (in the olden days we had such things that screw onto your counter and you can make hamburger from any type of meat - still have mine, btw).

Moving along . . . . the recipe called for several ingredients and, amongst them, was a cup of vinegar. SWEAR!!! It's still in the book right there in black and white (I've checked multiple times throughout the years to make sure I'm not daft). So, while this ham loaf was baking the smell of vinegar was permeating throughout our home. Whatever. Cory and Danielle were little and I think Brandilyn was newborn (she was saved from this event). I dished up the meal and went about dealing with my baby while they ate.

I noticed that Skip and the kids were just kind of staring across the table at each other and not saying much (you have to realize they are dealing with a post partum mother running on NO sleep because my little darling was extremely high need). I told them to eat and get on with it. Finally, Cory mustered up the nerve to say something. "Um, Jode, this doesn't taste good." Skip quickly chimed in with, "really, babe, something is wrong." I got WAY pissy.

I stormed over to the table and took a BIG bite of the ham loaf and almost gagged my guts out. Holy crap! Skip swiftly snatched up the phone and called for pizza (cuz in those days we lived in an area where that was possible).

I wanted to try to make it again leaving out the vinegar and I had three very adamant people yelling to me in unison, "NO STINKING WAY!!!"

No comments: